Friday, August 28, 2009

Say It Ain't So...


The other night as I was thinking about what to pack for Madi's lunch I decided that I wanted to make her something special. Something sweet, but still good for her. Something pretty (which for Madi means it needs to involve the color blue) and something that would earn me the "mom, you're the greatest" look when I picked her up from school. The problem was it was about 9:00pm and so I would have to work with ingredients that I already had in the house. I flipped through my Sneaky Chef cookbook (the one that hides veggies in kids favorite foods) and began analyzing ingredients. I found a chocolate cupcake recipe that called for the following:

1 cup of flour blend (check, I had this)
some baking powder (check)
some salt (don't you always have salt lying around)
purple puree (sneaky ingredient that's made of blueberries and spinach - and I had some pre-made and frozen ready to be thawed)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (just barely but whew, check)
4 tbs. butter (I had exactly four - hooray)
1 egg (Again, exactly 1 egg - I was feeling lucky)
And to top it all off, I had a little bit of white icing left over from the cake I made for our back to school dinner and I thought I could color it blue and pipe it into the cupcakes for that little something pretty!

I was excited to get started and surprise Madi when she opened her lunch box. I need to note that Madi prefers vanilla cake over chocolate but she has been eating chocolate (ie: candy bars, m&m's, icecream) lately so I didn't think this would be a problem.

The next day I pulled up to the car rider line.

I couldn't wait to see her face...

I wanted to hear the adoring praise when she climbed into the car for my extra effort on her lunch...

The door opened...

"MOM...... WHAT WERE THOSE BROWN THINGS IN MY LUNCHBOX"? "I DIDN'T REALLY EAT THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE CHOCOLATE AND I LIKE VANILLA".

Dang! Sometimes you just can't win! :) Oh well, next time I'll make sure it's vanilla!

1 comment:

Jen said...

LOL.....that would be something I would do and the reaction I would get.

Stopping by from SITS to say Hi.